Who is entitled to purchase a Resident Parking Permit

    Any resident who lives at an eligible address within the designated scheme and is the main insured driver of a motor vehicle, small van (limited to 5 metres in length) or motorcycle is able to apply for a permit. You can apply for up to three permits per household and per year (unless specified otherwise).

    What are the charges for parking permits?

    The standard cost for a resident permit varies depending on the operational hours. The cost of resident parking permits for this proposed scheme is detailed in the introductory text. 

    As a Resident Parking Scheme directly benefits residents that live in the streets covered by the proposed scheme, the cost of permits is paid for by residents. 

    Can visitors park in permit holder-only areas?

    Residents would be able to apply for visitor permits, which currently cost £13 each and allow 5 separate visits. You can apply for up to 20 permits per year. Tradespeople permits are also available for those working in a Resident Parking Scheme. Residents do not need to hold a valid resident permit or own a vehicle to apply for visitor permits.

    What if I am a Blue Badge holder?

    Blue Badge holders can park without a permit in a resident parking area for an unlimited amount of time when displaying a valid Blue Badge.

    When would permit parking restrictions apply?

    The proposed scheme would be operational during the days and times set out by your local members. Vehicles parked in designated permit holder bays without displaying a valid permit during these hours may be issued with a Penalty Charge Notice.

    Will the introduction of a resident parking scheme guarantee me a parking space or increase parking capacity?

    Schemes would work on a first-come-first-served basis. A permit does not guarantee that a parking space will be available, and bays are not assigned to individual properties.

    However, residents would be able to park in any street in their Resident Parking Scheme area. The introduction of parking controls may result in an overall reduction in available space as it will be necessary to have some yellow lines to ensure that larger vehicles, such as emergency vehicles and refuse trucks, are able to get through.

    What if I am receiving short or long-term care in my own home?

    Residents that receive care in their own home can apply for medical permits, which are free of charge. These permits can be used by anyone who provides care, including friends and family.

    How will this affect businesses, such as shops?

    In some Resident Parking Schemes we allocate short-stay Pay & Display spaces near shops and other business premises to encourage a regular turnover of parking. Businesses operating within a Resident Parking Scheme may be eligible for a permit.

    What about parking on the footway alongside the road?

    The Council receives a lot of complaints about parked cars blocking footways for pedestrians, pushchairs and wheelchairs. We cannot introduce a parking scheme that allows parking on the footway and forces vulnerable road users to walk in the road. The exception to this is in streets where such an arrangement is already in place and spaces have been formally marked as such.

    Will we have to have signs and road markings in the street?

    It is essential that drivers are aware of where they can and cannot park. Generally speaking, where parking is permitted, the areas will be marked out as white boxes with upright signs alongside. Where parking is not allowed, yellow lines are used. In some schemes it is not practical to mark out bays on the road. In such areas, there will be zone entry signs and repeater signs but no bay markings. These schemes are known as Permit Parking Areas (PPA).

    How will the scheme affect the use of my private driveway?

    You do not need a permit to park on your driveway or any other private areas of land.

    If you have a constructed access with dropped kerbs, we will not mark a bay across it.

    However, if you use your garden to park on and do not have dropped kerbs this is an unauthorised vehicular access, and we may allow parking across your frontage. In this situation, you may wish to consider applying for dropped kerbs. You can obtain more information here: www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk and enter Dropped Kerbs in the search bar.